Apr 19, 2013

Mama's Dairy Free (vegan) Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

So we're dairy-free again. After not recognizing the Peanuts dairy sensitivity until nearly three months after she was born, it took me less than a week to figure it out with Number Two. When I was first going dairy free I found it really difficult to find delicious non-dairy recipes that we're all vegan, so I've decided to share a few of my favorites with you! I've got a wicked sweet tooth so one of the first things I needed to figure out was how to bake without butter. If you want to use Earth Balance as a butter substitute you easily can, however margarine doesn't have the same flavor as real butter, so I wanted some recipes that didn't call for it at all. These cookies were originally given to me by a mama on a meal-train along with the recipe. They were so good I ate them all myself (well The Husband maybe had one or two..). I've changed the recipe slightly from the original for what I usually keep in the cupboard but feel free to use the alternatives I've listed in (parentheses). 

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies 

Prep Time: 10 min.
Bake Time: 20 min. 
Makes: Dozen (3 inch cookies)

1.5 cups rolled oats
1 cup wheat flour (or 50/50 mix of whole wheat and unbleached white flour)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup brown sugar + 1/2 water (or 1/2 cup maple syrup or other liquid sweetener)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or 1/2 cup coconut oil melted)
1 tsp vanilla extract
chocolate chips (at least 1/2 cup if not more)*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl (omitting chocolate chips). Mix wet ingredients together in a small bowl. Add wet to dry and mix until combined. Add in chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed. Shape dough into one dozen 3 inch cookies on a lightly greased or parchment lined cookie sheet. These cookies don't spread as they bake so make sure to shape them how you want them to look when they're done baking. 

Bake 20 min until edges are golden brown. Allow cookies to cool on a rack. They will be chewy and delicious! And trust me, they won't last long...
The last cookie...
*Costco brand chocolate chips are dairy-free! 


2 comments:

  1. Have you tried coconut oil as a substitute for butter? I use it in all my baking and it is delicious as well as healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in fact we get it by the tub at Costco!

      Delete